- Companies will collaborate on innovative financial experiences in global payments, transfer platforms and blockchain
- Visa cards to be integrated in LINE app
TOKYO – June 6, 2019 – LINE Pay Corporation, operator of digital wallet and fintech services on the LINE messaging app, and Visa (NYSE: V), the global payments leader, today announced a strategic partnership that will see them create new financial services experiences for their collective user bases of millions of consumers and merchants worldwide.
The two companies will collaborate across multiple areas, including:
- Everyday consumer payments: LINE’s 187 million global monthly active users will be able to apply for a digital Visa card from within the LINE app, and over time, add any of their existing Visa cards to make seamless payments from their mobile phone. The companies will also offer users additional and enhanced experiences like integrated loyalty programs and tailored offers and new payment capabilities for users when they travel overseas.
- Solutions for merchants: Through Visa, LINE Pay users will be able to use LINE Pay branded capabilities at Visa’s 54 million merchant locations worldwide, enabling them to take advantage of LINE Pay offers and services. They will also be able to see these transactions in their LINE Pay digital wallet, even where LINE Pay is not directly accepted. In addition, LINE Pay and Visa will collaborate on ways for merchants to interact with the LINE Pay service as well as LINE Pay digital wallet, supporting the continued growth of globally interoperable payments.
- Fintech services: LINE Pay and Visa will develop new experiences based on blockchain that enable B2B and cross-border payments and alternative currency transactions.
- Marketing: Ahead of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, LINE Pay and Visa will partner on exclusive marketing campaigns and promotions to contribute to Japan’s acceleration towards a cashless society in the lead-up to and after the Olympic Games.
Messaging apps are a fast-growing frontier in digital commerce, as consumers look for more of their everyday tasks, like payments, to be integrated with the apps where they’re spending more of their time. As consumer preferences shift further towards a single app from which they can do everything – transfer money, make an online purchase, pay bills, book travel, and order food – LINE Pay and Visa’s partnership will make that seamless experience a reality for millions of users while ensuring LINE Pay and Visa further drive the expansion of globally interoperable, open-loop payments.
This new partnership extends the existing relationship between LINE Pay and Visa, which includes co-branded LINE Pay Visa cards in Taiwan and to be launched later this year in Japan.
“LINE Pay is more than just a payment method. As we transition to a cashless society, LINE Pay is focused on delivering added value to LINE’s users around the world and business partners,” said Youngsu Ko, CEO of LINE Pay and LINE’s Fintech Company. “With Visa’s global network and infrastructure, LINE Pay users will be able to enjoy the advantages of that innovative, worldwide network.”
“The Visa co-brand program that currently serves 2.3 million customers in Taiwan is one of Visa’s fastest-growing programs globally, said Chris Clark, Regional President, Asia Pacific, Visa. “We are excited to extend this momentum to a range of new solutions in more markets around the world. As the LINE Pay team continue to enhance the utility of the LINE messaging application for consumers’ everyday lives, we are impressed by the potential of LINE’s distribution power and consumer loyalty to further drive the growth of the global, open-loop payments ecosystem to benefit all players on our network – consumers, merchants, and issuing and acquiring banks.”
Read the original article here: